Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Barefoot in a Blizzard; Vibram FiveFingers in winter

Those that know me know two things:
  • I'm insane
  • I wear the same clothes everyday (shorts + a t-shirt).
Just because there is a ridiculous blizzard out doesn't mean I'm going to change anytime soon (definition of insanity?).

Well, I wish I had pictures as my testimony will have to suffice. I'm a barefoot nut and a cold nut. I'm that guy wearing those fancy vibram five finger shoes, and I like to jump in freezing water. Today, I got to do both. Yay!

I was driving to my fiance's work so that I could pick her up since her corporate overlord decided the weather was bad enough to let people go home. Well, I lost control of the car and I went off the curb and I was half way between the street and some grass.

Fortunately, I had the good sense to have gloves in the car.

Unfortunately, my fiance brought the possibility of me being stranded in to the universe and the fucking universe obliged her. Well, ok, let's take a step back. It's basically my fault because I took her to work in a t-shirt and shorts and that prompted her to comment on my lack of survival sense.

So, there was I stuck. Since I slid into position, I had no forward or backwards tracks. I have to admit the actual process of getting stuck was very fun. Actually, it was the best fun I've had all year. That being said, the moment of "oh shit, I'm really stuck" was not exactly fun.

So, I go out in my handy-dandy five finger shoes (which suck against snow for periods of time greater than 27.3 minutes (again, I know these things)), and I start digging with my hands (note to self: get a portable shovel [editors note: how long have you fucking lived in kansas]).

So, after 34 minutes of alternating digging, trying to rock, pathetic attempts of pushing the car; I resign myself to failure and hang my head down low and call my fiance to tell her to get emergency road-side help.

After about 2 minutes of pure shame, I realize "fuck this self-pity bullshit, and I try some more".

I dug more, and I dug more. Here I am, a guy wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and basically barefoot playing in the snow. I have to admit, it was fun.

Final try, I get enough momentum to make serious progress. I go forward and then launch myself until I gain enough control and get off the curb. From here, it was simple patience that got me rolling.

The point of the story: never give up.

Look a quote:
"People think I'm crazy to put myself through such torture, though I would argue otherwise. Somewhere along the line we seem to have confused comfort with happiness. Dostoyevsky had it right: '"Suffering is the sole origin of consciousness.' Never are my senses more engaged than when the pain sets in. There is a magic in misery. Just ask any runner." - Dean Karnazes
Today was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment