Saturday, August 14, 2010

Ninja Programmer? Why are people so literal?

When I read Stop Calling Yourself a Rockstar and a Ninja, I was annoyed on a personal level. While I'm not a rock-star, I am a ninja. Problematical for myself, the implications and connotation of being a ninja in team are ... not good to say the least. As it was writ by the author:
Wow... that sounds awesome! Let's hire a backstabbing assassin for our company! Wait... is he assassinating us or infiltrating us?
So, yeah, being a ninja isn't so good. Wait, what about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? They were awesome. I want to be like Donatello and have a big stick (i.e. bo). If TMNT can band together and fight crime, then being a Ninja must be a good thing. So, I'll keep calling myself a Ninja. I wager the author is an old fart that did not grow up with TMNT... Oh well.

Besides, it is very appropriate if one thinks about it. There is a bad bug on production, I have to log in as root (because I'm a real man), navigate the file system, enter the file, find the line of code, and change it without anyone being the wiser. The implied negative vibe against ninjas
The functions of the ninja included espionage, sabotage, infiltration, and assassination.
are awesome if the ninja is facing bugs and problems. Any negative can be made positive in the right context.

However, maybe the author of the post has a deeper issue that he should seek therapy on. When presented with the functions of the ninja, the first reaction was that it was against the company. Why the latent aggression towards the company? Is this a Freudian slip of sorts? I think it is interesting... nothing more.

Now, I just hope that people don't realise that my wanting a big stick has anything to do with my penis. Psychology is such a harsh mistress.

No comments:

Post a Comment